Backing up data, one of the most important IT jobs, yet one of the most ignored.
To ‘back up’ means to make a copy of important data, to use if the original is lost. There are various ways that data loss can occur, like Fire, Theft and Floods, but the more common one ways are breakdowns on PC’s and Laptops, Viruses and Hacks.
Also, it must be considered that it is not just data for a given business that is at risk, but it’s Customer’s data too, so there are elements of the Data Protection Act to be thought about.
So, what should you do and how should you do it?
Here are a few key tips for making sure you perform backups and store the data correctly.
- Keep a copy on and off site, preferably with an online backup company
- Run a backup at least every day – more often if possible and practical
- Check it has worked and label it clearly
- Use passwords that are difficult to guess protecting backups
- Install a good quality Antivirus Package on any computers used for storing the backups
If you follow these guidelines, chances are, you’ll be absolutely fine. Prevention is always better than picking up the pieces when it has all gone horribly wrong.